Give feedback

automatically update ticket from commit comment

I'd love to see Assembla-style integration between tickets and repository (in my case, svn) commit comments. Basically search the commit comment for "<keyword> #<num>", where <num> is a ticket number, and <keyword> is either a ticket status or "Re". When this is found, then the whole commit comment is attached as a comment on the ticket (with a link to the commit); and if <keyword> is a ticket status, then also change the status of the ticket to whatever that status is.

So for example, if my comment is "Splines now properly reticulated, Test #42." then ticket #42 gets this (plus commit link) as a comment, and its status changed to "Test". If my commit comment is "Re #123, frobnors now partially cromulated", then ticket #123 gets this as a comment (with commit link), but the status is unchanged.

(As Assembla is now screwing over their long-time customers, you have a chance to pick up a whole lot of new users! But this is pretty much a must-have feature for us.)

7 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Joe Strout shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Joe Strout commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I guess it didn't ship that year (2016)? Just popping up to say this is still very important to us. I'm now running two big projects here on Deveo, and this is still the #1 feature I miss from Assembla.

• Joe Strout commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I didn't even notice the commit linking! I was expecting to see it as a comment, but instead it's separated out into a "Commits" view you have to click to see. That's not ideal, but it's a lot better than nothing!

So now if we could just get the status updating by looking at the text right before the issue number, that would be fantastic!

• Ilmari Kontulainen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Deveo already has commit-issue linking by using #12 for example. This is most definitely something I would like to see and use myself as well. A lot of possibilities emerge from simple state transfers, but that's probably the next step. I hope we can include this to one of the releases we are shipping this year.

Feedback and Knowledge Base